Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Poor Joe/It's So/And Time to Go

But speaking of stealing signs - or was that scams? Or padding your batting average? Honestly, it's tough to keep track of the steady stream of mal- and misfeasance from warmongers and corporatists. Fortunately they tend to recycle their sorry and pitiful crimes. Alas, sometimes they come in disguise.

Sorry old Joe Lieberman is apparently having a tough time with the idea that mere citizens might hold him accountable. It brings a whole new meaning to "say it ain't so, Joe," something hordes have been wanting to say to him recently.

Jane Hamsher at Firedoglake has the latest:

No Shit, Holy Joe’s Cracking

Update: Compare and contrast — Ned Lamont today on Sam Seder (MP3). Confident, smart, well-informed, very poised. No wonder Joe is flipping out.

In Sunday’s Hartford Courant Colin McEnroe wrote a blistering column that basically reflected many of the same concerns about Joe Lieberman that we voice on the blogs. He concluded that Joe was caught up in Bush rapture and that if the primary were held tomorrow he’d vote for Ned Lamont.

He interviewed Joe today on his radio show and Joe comes off as angry, sulky, defensive and unable to adopt anything higher than O’Reilly-esque shouting tactics in the exchange:


McEnroe: You probably know that I wrote in the Currant last Sunday that if I had to vote in the primary right now I would, with some sorrow vote for Ned Lamont simply because you have kind of drifted so far towards the Bush Administration whose policies I don’t approve of very much. Tell me why I’m wrong, tell me why I should vote for you.

Lieberman: Well I…I think that your statement just then was as ridiculous and unfair as your column was. I was really upset by it. I don’t get to hear you a lot because I’m in Washington but if you’re saying that on the air really I hope your listeners are taking it with a grain of salt.

First off let me go to something that really bothered me. You have this line saying that I’ve come to a point where I’m saying that those who do not parrot my support of the war are unpatriotic and then you take TOTALLY out of context something that I said in a speech that I gave last December when I came back from Iraq and I urge you to go back and look at that whole speech.


[clip]

The line actually reads:

"It’s time for Democrats who distrust President Bush to acknowledge that he will be the commander in chief for three more critical years and that in matters of war we undermine the president’s credibility at our nation’s peril."


[clip]

I have to say I’m shocked. I thought we would be a lot further along in the campaign process before Holy Joe wigged out, but it seems we’ve gotten deep under his skin. A seventeen year incumbent who goes on local talk radio, admits he’s in Washington too much to listen to the show and then tries to petulantly bully the host and doesn’t want to listen to his own quotes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home