Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Reading Update

There was yet another article in the paper in the last day or so about the dearth of book-reading in this country. This was not news to anyone with a working brain and attuned to the content of most media and the fact that our executive felon is still enthusiastically supported in whatever he does by more than 20% of those polled (just don't rub their noses in any actual facts).

As for me, I'm so backwards as to still be Hooked on Books.

My most recent read was Armistead Maupin's "Michael Tolliver Lives." I don't remember reading any of his City books, but I did greatly enjoy one or more movie/videos of same. This was a great read, although it does call for some tolerance for human sexual variety and associated folly. Maupin tends to be discreet, but prudish he ain't. But I think it unlikely that anyone encountering this post would be offended. More likely is a case of high giggles. Highly recommended. I could not resist a little research on the briefly featured locale "Heart's Desire Beach." It does exist, west side of Tomales Bay. I came upon a terrific map that had me pining for the area. Possibly it is merely a combination of my love of maps and multiple too-short residences in the area, but when this one came up on screen I was agog. See what you think.

On a darker note, possibly to be explored at greater length later (when I am in the down-cycle of my bi-polar?), I recently wrestled through Thom Hartmann's "Unequal Protection," a devastating expose on the apparently legally-unjustified establishment of the concept that corporations have full citizen rights in the US. This is an incredible story. Short version for now: the concept of corporation being equal to person in terms of rights was free-handed into introductory documentation of outcome of case where judge explicitly chose not to rule on that very issue. Courts have ever since made the mistake of taking this as actual legal precedent. Ohmigod. The consequences for life on our planet have been astounding. As just one example (I'm stretched here, with book not at hand), far more cases have been brought exploiting the 14th Amendment (Equal Rights) as basis for expanding the powers of corporations than on behalf of minorities. I've not said that well, but hopefully you get the basic idea. Corporations have been constantly screaming discrimination with the result that they are largely above and beyond the law at this point. And, obviously, far more empowered than the People that these United States are about.

Lighter recent read was "It Never Rains in Tiger Stadium" (Bradley). Having forgotten my original basis for placing library hold, title caused me to expect baseball and Detroit. Wrongo! Football at LSU. Actually, the playing of the game is largely a backdrop here for a pretty engrossing tale about dealing with the after-life (no - not death) from one with a central role in a community obsession. Very moving.

And in the meantime I listened to the audio of Conan Doyle's "The Lost World," a seminal pre-Science Fiction opus that inspired or influenced many works that are a lot more familiar. E.g., King Kong and Jurassic Park. This was a terrific listen and I presume would be also excellent in print form. It's probably a comment on my personal limitations, but I don't remember at any time during the multi-hour listening having any thought of Sherlock Holmes.

And, leaving aside the multitude of purchased books that continue to beckon so enchantingly (Bali Hai!) from the bookcases and assorted stacks here, there are several others from library with deadlines assigned. That is the dilemma for a buyer and library-user. One has a cost, one a deadline.

But for a proper fiend, those are of course relatively inconsequential secondary matters. The current hold-queue at the library, arrival dates unknown, include enticing numbers by authors like Lappe, Klein, Wolf, Savage, Soldsmith, and Gitlin.

Get thee to a bookery!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home