Thursday, April 17, 2008

Bel Epoisses!

I routinely bus to work. Given the cost of parking a car downtown and my analysis of the possible time-differences, it works for me. I can usually sit and read during commute and listen to music. It was highly annoying a couple days back when a minor accident led to 7-mile bus ride taking a full hour. But who knows whether I would have done better in a car.

But this tends to dull me to the impact of the always-rising gas price. Are you altering your life-style due to $4+/gal prices? More generally, is this impacting you in any big way? I'd be interested to hear. Is it only urban legend that ghb recently pretended to be surprised to learn for first time that gas prices are near $4? That legend would certainly match up with a general public persona of idiocy, despite every evidence that this psycopath, like many, (recall Lector) is actually quite intelligent when it is selfishly beneficial.

Frankly, as a limited user of gasoline (by US standards), while I shudder at the prices I see at the pump, I have been far more horrified at what has happened to the price of my favorite cheese, Epoisses. From my limited on-going market surveys, this jewel has risen in price from $16.99 a year ago (250 gms) to $26.99 today. I believe that is a 60% increase in one year! Astonishing, I would say. Consequently I have been Epoisses-less for way too long. I went so far as to purchase a lump of Limburger recently, hoping for something in the same category of glorious funky smell. Not in the ballpark.

But yesterday I had a double epiphany. My favorite cheese-vendor had Epoisses for the first time in a long while - and for $14.99! Better yet, they encouraged me to instead go for an alternative washed-rind (i.e., for the neophyte and or grade-schooler, stinky). So I'm back in business. Thanks so much, Teresa and Dennis!

But the message/lesson is more or less the same, namely the dollar is in the tank.

In the meantime, I have also been savoring a lot more domestic product. Par example (thanks, sis!), well-aged "Crimson Fire," cheddar infused with jalapeno and cayenne peppers courtesy of Washington State University. Yum!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home