Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thai Chicken Curry

Left to our own devices last Friday, Eric (okay, I did assist) concocted a memorable Chicken Curry for dinner. I should add that we had the avid attention, if not assistance, of the spaniels and heeler. They were constantly available, or, more accurately, underfoot.


I had carried out my assigned shopping on Thursday: lemongrass, Thai basil, Kaffir lime leaves, cilantro, and peapods. These I acquired at Uwajimaya's, the great pan-Asian store in Seattle's International District. Do not miss a chance to check out the big U! They feature plenty of offerings you may not find in your neighborhood grocery. Things ranging from those you have heard of but have never encountered in person (durian, egads, exhibit A) to things you have only seen in nightmares (dragon fruit). Adding in bitter melon, lemon cucumber, a dozen varieties of mushrooms, and at least a score of other produce categories never before encountered, it's better than a trip to the Puyallup Fair. I couldn't resist adding Bok Choi to my basket.

Eric acquired coconut milk, onions, peppers, and chicken breasts, the other more-mainstream prime ingredients for his curry-not-in-a-hurry. We had green curry paste on hand, and the freedom to be semi-lavish with that wonderfully dangerous ingredient, not needing to indulge the more gentle palates. He worked the stovetop and did the main prep and cooking, while I slaved over the herbs and peapods and made the rice. I.e., sous-chef'd.

We had some brief recriminations over having chosen plates rather than bowls (see picture), but no mas. Wish you could have been here, at least those of you with a pretty high tolerance for spice and/or patience for those of us who do!

Saturday the three of us went more mainstream America, with rib-eyes and baked potatoes. Well yes, I did work those Bok Choi into the menu, somewhat departing from the otherwise fully 1950's-compliant theme. What would Mamie have thought of fried garlic slices slathered over asian veggies and laved with soy sauce?

And Sunday it was baby backs, rice, and braised leeks. Eric had rubbed the ribs down Saturday night and made up a mess of bbq sauce the next afternoon. Knowing we had some leeks on hand, I had noted Julia's counsel on braising of same and decided I needed to make that experiment. I am more familiar with leeks as an ingredient, e.g., in soup. But I liked this result, somewhat akin to the Bok Choi, i.e., cooked to al dente with some added zest and seasonings. I think it was a success in the eyes of all, although a bit less cooking time would have been good - an issue once in a while with the BC too.

We try to keep in mind how "high on the hog" we live compared to so many who are less privileged both here in the US of A and in the rest of the world. We are very blessed to be able to afford to eat as we do.

I am planning on injecting Bok Choy with garlic slices and cracked red pepper into the Turkey Day melange tomorrow, in addition to some version of Brussels Sprouts, my standard veggie assignment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home