Sunday, March 08, 2009

Coming and Going!


It was a bit of a shock to have the Daylight Savings Fairy drop in last night. I'm not sure I am ready for this. We had more freakish weather yesterday, tiny hail pellets turning to snow and vice versa as it grew dark, leading to a thorough (thin) white coverage this AM. Doubtless there were pictures I should have captured, but somehow a little early reading and my role in breakfast prep (coffee from whole beans, sausage, and grapefruit) took priority.

Despite distaff's amazement, it's not the first time recently we had actual snow on the ground in March. I don't recall the year, but not that long ago we had an inch or two. For that matter, we had snow (little accumulation in Seattle but multiple inches in the vicinity) in April last year, within a week or so of remarkably high air temp of 80 or so.

For that matter, there is frozen water falling from the sky as we blog.

Despite the repeated enjoyed-and-appreciated visits of solid-phase H2O, signs of Spring here are undeniable. Winter bloomers like witch-hazel (Hamamelis) are passing the torch to the Hellebores, Snowdrops, Crocus, early Azaleas, Cornelian Cherry (Cornus mas), pendant pussy-willow, Daphne odora (swoon), and Garrya. Forsythia and Lysichitum americanum (i.e., skunk cabbage - my personal belwether) can't be too far behind.

Which is why I am in somewhat of a dither over the pruning chores. Between a weekend away and a couple weekends more-or-less lost to re-painting our livingroom, I am behind the eightball. I did finish our Magnolia today, to a degree of finesse it has never seen before thanks to taller ladder and general obsessiveness. I took care of a half-dozen roses a few weeks back, and a couple more today, as well as aforesaid pussy-willow. But I still have appointments to schedule with seven fruit trees, not to mention another score of roses and other trees and shrubs.

And I have planting of peas and mesclun and others on my mind as well - but no point in burying innocent little fertile critters when the air temperature is such as to cause frozen water to fall to earth. Ehh?

How are the seasons progressing where you are?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home