Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Outside In



I have seriously impacted my box of canning salt in the last couple weeks.




Marg and I made a foray to the Dry Side of the Cascade Mountains recently with bird-viewing, asparagus-buying, and relaxation on our minds. Per usual, backroads were factored into our route, in this instance for the sake of the birds (well, actually, for the sake of me). Bluebirds, western and mountain, Cedar Waxwings, Bullock's Oriole. That sort. Ahhh.


We enjoyed our riverside room in Yakima, featuring a cameo of float-fishers working their way into the swift-flowing river. I got my grass (8#) at the farmer's market, along with much else, e.g., $1 cabbage that could still find its' way to the smoker.


That aspara-grass yielded 4 marginal quarts pickled, with a cup or so of said salt in the mix. Not to mention pickling spice, onions, carrots, garlic, and an erotic variety of other herbs and flavorings, with results to be assessed later.


And then "we" concluded that my new smoker ought to be invoked for some salmon for Father's Day gifting. Not a bad idea! I used a box of dark brown sugar and a cup of that same iodine-free salt, together with a handful of garlic, minced, for overnight brine. Soupy liquid a clear indication that brine had some effect. Four hours on the smoker, more or less, in this case using apricot wood for smoke. Two nice filets for the Grand-dads and a leftover fillet from our freezer along for the ride. I am quite happy with the results, tender, juicy, smoky delight.

In the meantime I had to get right on the asparagus. Four quarts would never make it, considering that we missed a year or two along the way. We picked up another armful locally over the weekend and I managed another four quarts last night. More salt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home