Thursday, April 28, 2011

I'm Done With This Carpet

We learned last year that the decision had been made to consolidate the three-and-a-half floors my office occupies into three-zed, with the idea of saving on rent in a pricey part of downtown.  In some ways, and at a distance, with a particular perspective, it makes some sense.  Working through it though it real life, this is a monster.  Someone decided to replace all of the carpets.  That means that even folks who are not moving, like me, have to vacate their offices.  I'd love new carpet, but what will that require?

My deadline for having my office packed up was COB Tuesday.  I'd earlier been pointed at Thursday, and fortunately had got started early.  It was very stressful.  My office was somewhat of a monument ("disaster area"?), with documents filling bookshelves and cascading onto the floor.  I have tended to feel responsible for sustaining a resource/library for projects I have worked on, since management more-or-less gave up on a proper file system and any staff to manage it long ago.  Actually, mirroring our republic, we are talking about abject abandonment of our infrastructure.  It was painful, but I probably recycled a good ton of paper, in the category of multiple copies of reports, more or less all copies of versions prior to the final, and lots of backup material for projects long gone.

But as of Wednesday morn, I had new carpet (I like it) and 35+ boxes of "stuff" to deal with.  The unpacking is of course also a royal pain.  I am approaching half-way through that torture as of COB Thursday in terms of numbers of boxes, but there are some major Pandoras there yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home