Sunday, September 24, 2006

The Serenity of a Clear Blue Mountain Lake

Brief aside only, celebrating seemingly wild and random ganglial connections. Miraculous conjunction, deja vu, coincidence, and conspiracy are all out there on a regular basis if you are open to wishing on a star. (In the spirit of "Don't Think of An Elephant," whatever you do, don't think of Disney, Inc.!)

I was (again) entertaining in my head some Dylan lyrics the other day, including the words "boots of Spanish Leather," in this case I believe courtesy of Ms. Baez. Unfettered (i.e., bus-ride)brainambling eventually led to the song "Thirsty Boots." Speculating in more conscious state later as to the author of that tune. I thought I remembered a Dylan recording of it, and idly wondered if it might be his composition. That topic passed.

Subsequently my mother-in-law Donna mentioned that she'd enjoyed a PBS special on John Denver, and I found myself watching replay. I have eclectic tastes, and pop music is definitely a part of my play list. And I'm a sucker for reprises of the lives of popular musicians and their ouevres. Croce, Guthrie, Holly, J. Rogers, Orbison, H. Williams, Lennon, Cash, Presley, etc. are all potential grippers for me. This was a good one, leaving me agog over all the great Denver tunes that evoke memories and friends and places.

I pulled out my one JD disk when back at keyboard, wanting to listen to full version of a couple tunes shorted on show while doing some political blogging. Lo-and-behold (Basement Tapes!), here is John doing Thirsty Boots, an excellent tune just as I recalled, with composition credit to Eric Andersen. Mystery solved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home