Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Foodstuffs

I came across an intriguing recipe for bok choy a while back, and it has made repeated appearances here since then, telling you something. In brief, halved, steam for a few minutes over water with ginger and citrus added. While steaming, lightly brown goodly quantity of garlic slices in olive oil. Once BC is tender/wilted, drain and douse wth judicious dose of soy sauce (I have been known to sneak in a spatter of hot pepper sesame oil here also - and light additional grating of ginger and citrus zest is timely too, depending on audience), followed by that terrific OO/garlic amendment.

For reasons that cannot be revealed for fear of compromising national security issues, I found myself recently intrigued with the concept of a pressure cooker. Despite my resistance to actually putting out cash money for same, I now own one. The first trial runs involved chicken breasts, with cooking times remarkably around ten minutes, and resulting cooking fluid I can attest forming a delectably savory (with nacl and tabasco amendments) and possibly even therapeutic nosh.

But I flaunt the pressure cooker mostly because of the epiphanous role it played the other night when the uber-chefs were deliberating on brown rice and the nasty likely scheduling impacts. What fun to be able to play wizard and offer an alternative. Brown rice in no more than white rice time, thanks to my pressurizer.

That lucky epiphany/confluence of events has me encouraged that the pressure cooker may have found a home.

I also, somewhat to the ubers' amusement, acquired and prepared some Belgian endive this weekend. Inspiration came from my recent reading of "The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry," by local author Kathleen Flinn. I greatly enjoyed this book, which recounts author's passage at the prestigious Le Cordon Bleu but also movingly addresses issues of career choices and finding yourself.

This was our first endive experiement. My leg-work proved to my surprise that it was actually more economical to buy at (more convenient) Pike Place Market than Metro or Whole Foods. In brief, trimmed, halved, sauteed face down for several minutes, cut side up for several more, add half cup of chicken stock, 1/4 c lemon juice, T of brown sugar, salt & pepper to taste, and you may be surprised what a delightful little veggie you have.

I was informed that it's book-club night here tomorrow and asked to work up some cheese. The ladies will be working over Rogue River Smokey Blue, Gran Riserva Pecorina, and triple-cream Delice de Bourgogne.

Bon blog-appetit

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The great endive endeavor, I was recently taken on a kale quest with your ever exploring food guru daughter; I now know where she gets it from. It is truly amazing what some random ingredients such as lemon, onion and spices can do to a ordinary green leaf, often referred to as rabbit food. I am also quite excited to hear more of your pressure cooker exploits.

8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home