Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Don't Get Perconel With a Hatch Chili!

I was intrigued by a display of attractive multi-hued chili peppers in a local grocery late last week, something a bit out of character or even a little outre way out here in the (formerly) soggy northwest, far from chili-dom. I noted the name but otherwise decided it was not urgent business. But a couple days later I ran across a similar display in another branch of this chain. Hmmm!

In passing, I shared this with co-worker food-confabulist political-poltergeist that the domestic crew have come to tease me as having recently morphed into my BFF. I have been careful over the years (a shared 17 or so with same employer) to tiptoe around his sensitivities or more specifically his delight in throwing out caustic right-wing barbs. He's a gun-toting (in the National Parks before it was legal!), motorcycling, government-fearing posse all to hisself when it comes to outward politics. It's tough to overcome a deprived childhood and a child-less marriage.

Despite his wholly misguided politics, he is somehow a devoted vegetable gardener (exploiting the now-illegal pesticides he has archived), amusingly devoted cat-lover, and an enthusiastic meat-smoker and food afficionado with a self-admitted decidedly limited Kansas-based set of food preferences. But he does do spicy food amazingly well, all things considered.

And he has a lot more hours logged on food websites than I do, so "Hatch chilis" actually meant something to him. These are apparently quite the gourmet item, a subset of New Mexico green chilis raised in small area around Hatch, NM. We mutually puzzled over how or what these chilis would be used for, in my case having only the coincidental connection that they were being promoted (lacklusterly) locally, in his case limited as he'd never imagined encountering them.

I took time Friday to re-visit store, despite crises enveloping me at work (or maybe to escape same?), only to find that said chilis had been tossed due to spoilage. But in the course of the weekend, amusingly, we both found other supplies, and purchased extra on each other's behalf! Interestingly his were all green and came in two separate heat levels, while mine were multi-colored with no news on capsaicin levels.

With provendor in hand, more on-line research suggested to me that roasting these puppies and preserving was the way to go.

I went the oven-broiler route, though slower oven-roast would no doubt work too, and BBQ and/or smoker are other options. I cut mine in half to simplify seed and membrane removal, a little wary of possible heat. But removal of relatively tough skin was made more difficult as a result. I found it quite a chore to peel the little darlings.

It turns out that my catch is not really all that hot, though I guess medium-spicy. I packaged the peeled peppers 1/2 cup each and vacuum-sealed them for freezing. I foresee use in an authentic chili when the winter is upon us. Or some enchiladas. We'll just have to see. Co-worker expended most of his catch into a potato-chili soup recipe he had been dying to try and was swooning over that today (while admitting it did have some serious tang to it).

And, by the way, in the spirit of learning something every day, there was a lesson here. Though one any food-savvy dolt might not need my help with. When working intimately with the pepper family, in particular the membranes and seeds, not only is it important to observe the normal food-work guidelines of washing after a visit to the loo, it is highly recommended that you do a vigorous scrub before contact with genitals also. Speaking only hypothetically, hours of discomfort could burn this lesson in well.

In the meantime, I tracked down another couple pounds or so of Hatch beauties and have them cooling in the kitchen now.

PS Title is a nod to a book I wore out in younger days, authored by quirky author H. Allen Smith ("Don't Get Perconel With a Chicken"), who was also famed for being one of the progenitors of chili-cooking competitions in the Lone Star State.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home