Tuesday, May 03, 2011

The Reading Backlog

 I have a lot of books I want to read.  There are a multitude that I have accumulated here.  Backlogged  reading in the form of  purchased books in the thousands.  Mostly that is from historical practice, though I still add on when I find an intriguing number on the cheap.  And, occasionally, there is something I know I need to possess for some reason.

But I have worked hard to get on a program where most of my reading is done via the Seattle Public Library, one of the preeminent libraries in the world in my impression.  I feel bad that actual human librarians are probably employed in much lower numbers these days everywhere, including the SPL, than in the past, given the change to on-line operations.  Librarians have always been in my highest esteem; through my school years, there was almost always one or more that I considered a great friend and confidante.

As of tonight, I learn that I have the following checked out:

Hillerman - Shapeshifter (cd): not sure I will get to this, borrowed for car trip
Jance - Dead to Rights: will be on this soon
Grodstein - Friend of the Family:  hope to get around to this, read earlier by Marg
Gilman - The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax: I've read one in the series (at least) and we have listened to 2
Follett - Whiteout: I've had to turn down several huge Folletts recently, but have hopes here
Safina - The View from Lazy Point
Meredith - Without a Map
Harris - High on the Hog
Lee - Emily and Einstein
Wallace - Consider the Lobster and Other Essays
Lehane - Moonlight Mile
Hoagland - Sex and the River Styx
O'Farrell - The Hand That First Held Mine (for Marg)
Robbins - Skinny Legs and All
McMann - Wake  (at least I am working on this one!)
James Cain - Omnibus (I read and cherished the primary Cain way back when. M. Pierce was my focus here.

I'm thinking, as I hope you might be, how does a mere human reader deal with all of this.

We'll see!

1 Comments:

Blogger Mary Lane said...

The other day I wandered into Broadway Books (NE Portland)and the displays were so attractive, and the proprietor so welcoming . . . and my brief immediate reaction was to be depressed. There is SO MUCH GOOD STUFF to read, and I only have a few more decades to do it in. OK, a quarter century. One can read lots in a quarter century.

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home