Wednesday, June 08, 2011

The Weekend Yang and Yin

This may be the busiest time of the year for those of us actively dealing with yards and gardens, especially when it includes vegetables and aggressive management of existing plants.

There are always some things that might need serious adjusting (or removal), and this season was no exception.  We took out a group of camellias that had never done much for us and had produced a lot of litter and other problems.  M tagged our yard-work folks for that a couple weeks ago.

If only it was so easy..  In hindsight, I am ambivalent over who got the better deal.  The trunks and rootballs fell to me.  Axes, pry-bars, loppers, and all sorts of mean and nasty implements (apologies, Arlo G) were required.

But "we" got most of them out last weekend, and in celebration of our 34th anniversary, the last most-nasty-trunk, this weekend.

Meanwhile, I was also attempting to accommodate my more gentle side, cozying up to a sewing machine with a new project.  Perhaps I have blundered (some have said so) in getting more than one such project in the queue, but I concluded that was inevitable, both from watching the more-seasoned sew-ers around me and from an analysis of the tasks involved and their psychic payback.  Some of this is just dull work.

Anyway, my present fabric activity includes one now-quilted quilt in need of only binding (mercy, how many hurdles can there be!), a couple clandestine table runners with unspoken needs, another also off-the-record project that is just barely underway but also involves some new adventures and education, and another batik-intensive quilt-in-progress featured above, with major fabric work largely done, tedious small work on border maybe half done.

In this case though I was working off a pattern, so the border and binding are within reach.  I'm still pondering the backing - maybe an equally-complex quilt?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home