Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Ripe Tomatoes in Seattle!

I had my doubts, I confess.  But giddy co-worker Todd prodded me yesterday to the effect that he had "a" ripe cherry tomato on my mother's birthday, 8/8, thus beating me despite my headstart on planting.

Somewhat reluctantly I went (on my knees) to my first plants last night and behold! Three fully red cherries!

It has not been what anyone would call a good year for warm-weather crops here in the PNW.  But then, given what we can stand to learn of conditions in the rest of the country (I'm only talking wx here!), complaining would seem pretty cheesy.  We have had decent snap and English pea harvests, lots of lettuce and other greens, and aggressively-planted beans could still come through.  Hard green sets are apparent on almost all of the too-many tomato plants.  Fava beans are productive.  Tomatillos ditto.

But those love-apples are the real test of a NW gardener's prowess.  I should probably not get so invested in such a low-payoff game, but it's hard to resist.

One more ripe today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home